Monday, March 09, 2009

George Wenzelburger

Yesterday, Bob Dodelson reported the passing of George Wenzelburger to the JerseyBirds listserv. George had been ill for some time, so this news was not exactly a surprise, but it was still very sad news.

I did not know George well or long. I never had the opportunity to go birding with him. I made his acquaintance when I became involved with the NJ Bird Records Committee. During George's last term on the committee, spring meetings were customarily held at his house in Freehold, where he and his wife were the best of hosts. I wish I could say something more profound, but that will probably come from those who knew him best. I can only say I deeply regret his passing and my thoughts are with his family and friends.

If you have a stack of old issues of (Records of) New Jersey Birds, you might pull out volume 29, number 4 (the winter 2003-2004 issue), and read George's writeup on NJ's first (and so far only) Masked Booby.

Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Patrick B. said...

Having birded with George, shared meals with him, and having taken over the Long Branch Xmas count that he compiled for 17 or so years, I was deeply saddened to hear about this. He was a terrific guy. Thanks for posting about it and bringing attention to his terrific Masked Booby article which I have here somewhere.

Jennifer W. Hanson said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your memory of George, Patrick. I keep trying to write something suitably eloquent but all I can keep coming up with is that he will definitely be missed by many of us.