Monday, October 27, 2008

The Perfect Birding Librarian Storm

As a birding LIS student, I just couldn't resist blogging this.

When my mom asked about Bar-tailed Godwits the other night on the phone, I knew a bird celebrity had been born. Sure enough, today the Dewey Blog had an entry entitled "Migration of Bar-Tailed Godwits". If you had any reason to wonder what Dewey Decimal Number such a migration would get, wonder no longer.

All four species of godwits have been recorded in NJ. The first Bar-tail showed up at Absecon in 1937, and one bird visited Longport from 1972 to 1982. The last NJ record was from Nummy's Island in September 1985.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That godwit was actually not in Longport. It was in the Longport Sodbanks which are now included in Malibu Beach WMA.

Jennifer W. Hanson said...

I should have specified that the godwit was at the sod banks in the post, but was a little rushed for time. I guess I was thinking of the established birder use of the term "Longport" to equal "Longport sod banks." Thanks for the clarification.