Monday, October 27, 2008

The Perfect Birding Librarian Storm

As a birding LIS student, I just couldn't resist blogging this.

When my mom asked about Bar-tailed Godwits the other night on the phone, I knew a bird celebrity had been born. Sure enough, today the Dewey Blog had an entry entitled "Migration of Bar-Tailed Godwits". If you had any reason to wonder what Dewey Decimal Number such a migration would get, wonder no longer.

All four species of godwits have been recorded in NJ. The first Bar-tail showed up at Absecon in 1937, and one bird visited Longport from 1972 to 1982. The last NJ record was from Nummy's Island in September 1985.

2 comments:

Mary Harper, Beach Steward, Malibu Beach WMA said...

That godwit was actually not in Longport. It was in the Longport Sodbanks which are now included in Malibu Beach WMA.

Jennifer Hanson said...

I should have specified that the godwit was at the sod banks in the post, but was a little rushed for time. I guess I was thinking of the established birder use of the term "Longport" to equal "Longport sod banks." Thanks for the clarification.